Resource Requirements and Limits
This page provides resource requirements for TrilioVault for Kubernetes pods
The table below provides resource related information for TrilioVault for Kubernetes pods.
The information contained herein can be leveraged to assign Resource Quotas and Limit Ranges for namespaces and resources within namespaces.
CPU request (milliCore)
The overall resource requirements of TrilioVault for Kubernetes will be dependent on the resources of the control plane pods and along with that dependent on the number of data protection and data management activities that are being performed. For example, a Kubernetes cluster with 10 backupPlans may need more resources if all backupPlans are configured to trigger the backup at the same time, compared to a Kubernetes cluster with 15 BackupPlans configured to be triggered at staggered intervals.
At the control plane level, TrilioVault uses the following pods: webhook, control-plane, exporter, web, web-backend, and ingress controller. Based on the table above, the following requirements can be calculated:
- 1.CPU requests and CPU limits of 170 milliCore and 1800 milliCore approximately
- 2.Memory requests and Memory limits of 170 Mi and 4608 Mi approximately
Depending on the number of backup, restore and target operations happening concurrently and the overall features those operations use, the CPU and memory requirements can be calculated at the data plane level.
- 1.Backup operations include -> Metadata snapshot, Quiesce (optional), Unquiesce (optional), Data Upload, Metadata upload, Retention (optional), Backup Cleaner (optional)
- 2.Restore operations include -> Restore Validation, Data Restore, Restore Metadata, Unquiesce (optional)
- 3.Target Operations include -> Target Validator, Target Browsing (Optional)
Adding up the resources requirements for the different phases for a particular operation will provide the requirements for the entire backup or restore operation.
In order to estimate the maximum memory and CPU that could be utilized by TrilioVault, the biggest pods need to be evaluated running in parallel. For 5 concurrent backups and restores, the maximum amount of CPU and Memory required would be dictated by the Datamover pods running in parallel. Based on the table above, the following can be calculated:
- 1.CPU request and CPU limits of 500 milliCore and 7500 millCore approximately
- 2.Memory requests and Memory limits of 4000 Mi and 25600 Mi approximately